Safety Engineering Consulting Services
Omazaki Consultant & Training is a strategic business unit at PT. Omazaki Envirokal Prakarsa. Of the many services provided, one of which is as a safety engineering consulting services. This is related to engineering consultancy in the hazard control hierarchy in occupational safety and health (OHS) management. Our superior service in is related to electrical safety. We called it as electrical safety engineering solutions and services. We act as electrical safety engineering consultants in Indonesia. As an electrical safety consulting services provider in Indonesia, our OHS consultancy services are very dominant towards technical and engineering over OHS management. Electrical safety consultancy solutions and consulting services begin with a updating single-line diagram (SLD), arc flash study based on NFPA 7OE and IEEE 1584 with software such as ETAP, lightning strike risk study, installed lightning protection systems assessment, grounding system study and assessments, risk assessment of static electricity or electrostatic hazard, to the study of touch and step voltage (touch and step potential study). Our consulting firm location is in BSD, Tangerang Selatan, Banten province, Indonesia.
- Manufacturing industry
- Chemical and petrochemical industries
- Utility Company
- Other industries
Please contact us by filling out the form in Contact.
Electrical Safety Engineering
As an electrical safety engineering consultants in Indonesia, Omazaki Consultant serves some studies related to the technical controls in electrical safety management as follows:
- Electrical Safety Audit (Engineering Audit)
- Updating Single-Line Diagram – Brochure PDF
- Arc Flash Study and Assessment
- Grounding System Evaluation and Assessment
- Review of Hazardous Areas Classification (HAC)
- Electrostatic Risk Assessment
- Review of Existing Lightning Protection System
- Lightning Strike Risk Assessment
- Step and Touch Potential Study
Reference Regulations and Standards
There are various reference regulations and standards that we use when conducting studies and technical reviews on electrical safety consulting services. References for the above studies include:
- Regulations and Decrees of the Minister of Manpower (Permenaker & Kepmenaker)
- Indonesian National Standard (SNI)
- General Electrical Installation Regulations (PUIL) – PUIL 2011
- PT PLN Standards (SPLN)
- Other national regulations and standards related to electrical safety
Overseas & International
- IEC & IECex – International Electrotechnical Commission
- ATEX – Equipment for potentially explosive atmospheres
- IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- NFPA – National Fire Protection Association
- ANSI/NEC – American National Standards Institute/National Electrical Code
- API – American Petroleum Institute
- NETA – International Electrical Testing Association
- EASA – Electrical Apparatus Service Association
- ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System
- ISO 55001 Asset Management Systems
Updating Single-Line Diagram (SLD) – Brochure PDF
Electrical Single-Line Diagram (SLD) is a diagram that represents each electrical equipment in the form of symbols and illustrates how the equipment is interconnected in the electrical system. This single line diagram is sometimes called one-line diagram.
Over time, the electrical system is often modified for one specific purpose. SLD documents must be updated to reflect each modification. A common practice in many places is to delay the renewal of the single line diagram of the electrical system, even though the changes have occurred. The reasons can vary, may not be considered important, or maybe because of budget constraints, and so on. However, this practice ultimately leads to unsafe conditions. It may lead to a worse, more detrimental situation, for the business process or the production process.
Generally, electrical safety consultants will ask for the latest single-line diagram if you want to carry out further OHS consultations. An updated SLD document is most important basic material
Arc is an ionized gas due to electric fault where an electric current jumps in the air like lightning. This process releases a lot of energy as heat. Uncontrolled arcs will continue to enlarge by themselves, getting stronger in a very fast time. The phenomenon of the greater amount of heat energy in the form of electric arcs is then called the arc flash. This is a dangerous phenomenon.
NFPA 70E defines the arc flash is as the release of very high heat energy due to electric fault with short circuit currents. The arc flash phenomenon can result in an arc blast. Arc blast is when the conductor and the air around the arc melted and evaporate causing a supersonic shock wave. This supersonic wave pressure causes equipment, insulation materials and supporting structures to explode. This is damaging and can threaten safety.
Some conditions that can cause arc flash are:
- Carelessness that results in contact with live parts on electrical installations or equipment
- Isolation failure
- Poor electrical connection
- Equipment that is lacking in maintenance
- Transient voltage
- Failure to break the short-circuit
- Objects or animals accidentally hit or pass by an open conductor, such as rats, squirrels, snakes, etc. (example: bus bar on LVMDP panels sometimes entered by mice).
Incident energy (IE) is a measure of heat energy that hits the surface when an arc flash occurs. The unit for incident energy is cal/cm2. The most common distance for determining incident energy in testing is 18 inches.
This energy incident can be known by manual calculation or with the help of software simulations. By knowing the estimated magnitude of incident energy, if an uncontrolled arc occurs, at least we will be able to determine 2 things:
- The level of risk that is realized in mapping of safe areas to unsafe areas (arc boundary to prohibited approach boundary)
- Determine the type of personal protective equipment (PPE) for workers who have to work in locations at high risk of arc flash
We will work with you to study, assess, and/or evaluate what explained above. The scope and various other matters related to this electrical safety consultancy will also be described and discussed with us as an arc flash consultant. This arc flash consulting services will deploy software such as ETAP, SKM and EasyPower. We serve arc flash study or consulting services for all area in Indonesia.
According to IEEE-142, earthed or grounded means connected to earth or to a large conductor that functions as a substitute for the earth, no matter whether the connection is intentional or unintentional.
The Purpose of Electric Grounding
Based on SNI 0255: 2011 or the General Regulations for Electrical Installation (PUIL) 2011, there are 2 types of electric grounding:
- Protection Grounding is earthing of one point or several points in a system or an installation or in equipment for electrical safety purposes
- Functional Grounding is the earthing of one point or points in a system or an installation or in equipment for purposes other than electrical safety
Protective grounding is a protection system for devices and people from surges, lightning, and so on. Earthing or grounding systems create low-impedance paths to the surface of the earth for leakage currents, sparks when short circuits occur, transient waves, lightning currents, and various other types of abnormal electrical waves. An effective grounding system will minimize the negative impact of these abnormal currents and voltages, both the negative impacts on the device and humans.
Functional earthing functions in addition to electrical safety, and can function as a current distributor in normal operation. For example, in a one-wire earth turning power distribution system, the earth forms one conductor from a circuit and carries all load currents. Other examples of devices that use functional earthing connections include surge suppressors and electromagnetic interference filters.
Purpose of Grounding Systems Evaluation and Assessment
- Conduct a comprehensive analysis, evaluation and assessment of the earthing system and the bonding is in comply with the established code and standards
- Provide recommendations for improvement of the existing grounding and bonding system so that it is more in line with the expected function
Lightning Protection System
This consultancy services is an activity that is highly determined by the location and what facilities will be protected from the risk of lightning strike. Often the lightning protection design of a facility is unique, or adapted to the condition of the building, structure and location.
The risk mitigation of lightning strikes is carried out by making a combination of external and internal protection. In this assessment both of these will be reviewed and analyzed.
The objectives of the lightning protection system assessment are:
- Re-assess the risk of lightning strikes on buildings or structures at the facility
- Evaluation of the existing lightning protection system in terms of national and international regulations and standards.
- External and internal lightning protection design assessment and evaluation
- Review and provide advice on aspects of the lightning protection system maintenance along with appropriate preventive and corrective actions (if non conformity found).
The scope of this OHS consultation will be discussed with an electrical safety consultant.
For further explanation or requests for presentations about our safety engineering consultancy services, especially related to electrical safety engineering consulting services please contact us by filling out the form in the Contact.